According to Babywearing International, babywearing is an inherently safe activity. But as with any other baby or child product, it is important to observe a few basic safety tips. Here's how you can ensure the safety:
1. Regardless of your budget, ensure the choice of carrier is not a counterfeit piece as the original ones uses accessories and sewing method that has been tested and approved for weight bearing
2. Inspect that new carriers are in perfect condition, apart from the usual snubs that is common for handwoven carriers and those that are made of wool, silk, linen, and spandex, bamboo or cotton.
3. When carrying baby, it is highly recommended to have baby positioned upright. Following the UK babywearing safety rules below or click here to download T.I.C.K.S infographic
- In view at all times
- Close enough to kiss
- Keep chin off chest
- Supported back
4. Alternatively refer to Babywearing International ABC guideline (click here).
- Airway not blocked
- Baby position is well supported; "M" shaped legs and bump with well supported back
- Comfort: both baby and wearer
View what's the optimal positioning for different age groups (move fingers to zoom)
View what's the optimal positioning for different carriers (move fingers to zoom)